Monday, July 4, 2011

Day in the Life of a Beauty Product Addict -K

Now, as you may have gathered these past two weeks, I am a fan of the beauty product.  Walking into my bathroom is akin to stepping into Target and Sephora’s lovechild.  The view from my bed contains three types of lotion (all used for different things).  To the casual observer, this may sound like I am an unattractive girl attempting to overcompensate for my failings.  Truth is, I’m a fan of my looks.  I just feel a hundred times better with soft elbows and smooth legs. 
            That being said, I am absolutely an addict.  I could spend 8 hours in a makeup store debating between red lipsticks and colored eyeliner.  Just to prove to myself (and my lovely boyfriend) that everything serves a defined purpose, I’m going to document my day, start to finish, in terms of what I use and why I love to use it. 

The day starts at 10 AM.  I brush my teeth and wash/tone/moisturize my face.  To be honest, it’s the least favorite part of my day.  I hate washing my face (I turn the color of a tomato), so generally I do smaller tasks in the middle.  I put in my contacts and such to prepare for the real challenge: the make up.  Six days a week (at most) I wear make up out and about. 
Make up is the one part of an outfit that can always be daring.  On any given day, a woman has to make the decision- eyes or lips, sharp or soft, fun or natural.  All of those decisions factor into one face that shows the world what you are.  And nothing shows your mood or the ways you are different day to day more than your makeup.  One day, my lipstick may be a “trying to seem French and cultured” red, and next day it’s a “I’m going for the timeless look” coral.  If I’m working, blue eyeliner adds a splash of personality in my otherwise black attire.  Having a huge make up collection gives me a million things to do with my face, which to me is the coolest idea ever.

Throughout the day, I’m splashing on lotion and chap stick like there is no tomorrow.  Every time I pass my bathroom or rifle through my purse, I smear a little on myself.  By now, it’s more of a habit than anything else.  Nothing else to do? I’m probably a little dry on my shoulders…

Now comes the huge deal: the shower.  Body scrub, a loofa, soap, exfoliator for my face, and shampoo and conditioner make for a quick but busy shower.  I absolutely love the feeling of scrubbing myself raw to let new skin show, don’t you?  I don’t do it frequently enough to do any harm, just enough to constantly feel clean and new.  At night, washing my face is a hundred times better.  I feel so ready to dive into bed and curl up with my smooth (and covered in body butter) legs.  The feeling of ending the day just as I started it (only with softer skin), winds down the day.
Seeing my schedule laid out like this makes me rethink defining myself as an addict.  I don’t spend hours in front of the mirror fixing every little hair into the right place.  I can’t stand the feeling of caked on makeup.  I refuse to buy any moisturizer that claims to “do” something.  In that sense, I’m not an addict.
I realize this seems to be an odd follow up to last week.  It might even seem contradictory.  To me, it compliments it perfectly (let’s be real, of course I’m going to say that).  I just think people need to do what makes them feel better.  If it’s makeup (my case) or wearing sweats or even dressing up in a meat dress, being comfortable in your skin is what’s important.  I’m comfortable in lotiony skin.  What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment